Milestones & Meltdowns

Friday, January 28, 2011

Happy Birthday Kansas!!!






I realized recently that after 4th O July, and Christmas, the next best holiday is definitely Kansas' birthday! It takes me back to my days of elementary school and for an entire week we celebrated the different elements/aspects of our beautiful state, Kansas.

I had no idea until I left college and joined the real world with others from around the US, that we are one of the few states that celebrates our state. Blasphemy!!!! Every year growing up we would celebrate the 'birth' of Kansas for an entire week that would culminate with a birthday party with treats for all. It's hard to believe she's already 150 (January 29th, 1861 - and Kansas State University was founded two years later on February 16th, in case you didn't realize)! (She looks so young!)
The art projects were the best. I remember the pictures of buffalos that we decorated with different colors of brown, including coffee grounds to make their darker wool. We colored sunflowers, meadowlarks, and box turtles, Oh My! The week would typically end with a delicious cup of Kansas Dirt (Chocolate pudding and crushed oreos on top) and maybe a showing of Wizard of Oz.

I find it so hard to believe, and a little bit sad, that my friends from other states don't know their state's history. Is Kansas that proud? Is it our education standards? Or is it because I grew up in a small town? Either way, I feel very fortunate to know and celebrate my state's birthday! In the last few years, I have also noticed that KSU tends to play KU on this day as well to really get in to the spirit of Kansas (State). At, least, I can only assume that right?

So here's to you Kansas and my fellow Kansans. Go State!!!

PS - On a (even more) fun note: "Home on the Range" was written by Dr. Brewster Higley at the Higley Cabin, located 5 miles NorthEast of Kensington. And the geographical center of the United States of America is located in Lebanon, KS which is located 30 miles east of Kensington.

PPS - I apologize for the layout. I'm still getting used to this blogging business.

No comments:

Post a Comment